On the move

I’ve moved again. 

Originally, I spent a few weeks at a family member’s house while she was away. Then a friend who was leaving the country for three months invited me to stay at her home. So began my house-sitting journey. 

My most recent opportunity fell into my lap, as well. A friend and I were chatting when he mentioned house sitting for the summer. I said I had considered it as a way to travel cheaply when I’m in Europe. He asked if I’d consider house sitting for him and his wife while they were away. The timing was perfect for me. It’s like it was meant to be. 

So here I am, living in someone else’s house. It’s different than being a guest when your host is there. You have to open the cabinets and drawers to find the glasses and silverware. You have to find the closet with the broom and vacuum. (That was trickier.) You have to learn the quirks of each place. A good owner tries to tell you as much as possible. 

It’s a different way of living. You don’t have everything you want or need. For instance, there is no wine corkscrew, wine glasses or coffee maker at this house. I did find a tea pot. Fortunately, I bring my own. When I move further away I likely will need to buy as I go. (I may have to learn to be ok with a good plastic wine glass.)

The people I sit for get a good deal with me: I clean. 

Kitchen first, top to bottom. I probably won’t clean out every cabinet, but counters, cabinet doors, appliances, backsplashes, windows, walls, floors and more get a good scrubbing. 

Then the bath. Then other stuff, like dusting, vacuuming and little things, like tightening handles and pulls on doors and drawers, fixing the towel holder, unplugging the sink. 

My newest agreement allows me to stay in exchange for doing a few things to prep the house for potential sale. 

Yes, I know typically house sitters get paid, but I was in need of a place, so it benefits us both. I don’t pay anything to live here. They get some work done and have the house lived in. 

Although I’ve only been here a few days, I’ve settled in.  

And I like living this way. Presently, everything I own fits in my car. I’ll have to downsize more before I get on an airplane. But I’m well on my way. 

And it makes me think that maybe I want to explore house sitting a little more. Staying someplace for two to three months might be the way to go. And if I get paid ...

It’s nomadic, but it suits me now. Maybe someday I’ll want to put down roots again. But not right now. Right now I want to keep moving. 

Comments

Popular Posts