Time to myself

It’s weird having time to myself. 

There was always something to do at the house. When I had down time it was simply because I was ignoring something else that needed to be done. Or I felt I’d done enough for one day. 

Not that there aren’t things I could or should be doing. But house sitting takes off some of the pressure. Yes, I’ve done some cleaning — scrubbed the kitchen floor today, vacuumed and dusted, washed linens. 

I could be doing research on my future plans. I could be reading. I could be walking. 

Instead, I’m sitting in the sun listening to Chris Thile’s Live from Here broadcast on WPR. 

I’ve often done this. I like the show and try to listen each week. It’s a nice break from a busy Saturday. But this feels different. It’s just me. 

I love this time of day, the slant of the sun, the approaching night. I especially enjoy sitting outside with a glass of wine in the late afternoon or early evening. Watching the sky. Feeling the breeze. Tasting the wine.

It’s too cold to sit outside today, but my place has western-facing windows. The sun is stretching across the room, casting long shadows. But it’s warm and inviting. I can see the bluish sky and a bird silhouetted in the bare branches. The wine is nice. 

I’m glad I can choose this. Right now. That’s all we have. 

Maybe it’s not so weird after all. 

Comments

  1. You wine. You coffee. You Nora. And it’s all good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice. When I read this today, the late afternoon sun was slanting in my living room and I appreciated what you were saying. Hope you keep the blog going. It is both cathartic and creative at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words. There is something about that slant of light ...

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts