A little pause: Freelance copy writing (or how my love affair with the comma began)


Such a colorful comma ...
Good Morning Mystique.
Congratulations and welcome to the Online Writing Jobs writing team!

It was a nice way to start the day.

Granted, I figured I’d get an offer. Well, OK. Let me back up. I actually thought this morning that it was odd that I hadn’t heard from them. I figured they would have had time to look at my stuff. Was it that bad that I couldn’t get a copy writing job? Had I completely misunderstood the directions? (Yep, still working on handling rejection or perceived rejection.)

Turns out it was none of those. It just took a couple of days for them to look at it and get back to me.
It’s copy writing for websites, which isn’t exactly what I want to do. It’s freelance, which isn’t ideal, but it will be money in my pocket. I’ll have a greater appreciation for writers when I do get to edit.

I spent a good amount of time this afternoon reading through the content on the website to familiarize myself with everything. I don’t know it, but I know when and where to look for it – kinda like AP Style.

They give you a grade on each assignment, and if you meet all the qualifications, you get a better grade. Better grades can mean higher pay and a chance at higher-paying specialty projects.
If you don’t meet all the qualifications, your grade drops. Too many low grades, and you can be suspended.

You did a fine job on your test assignment, and the editorial staff has provided the following feedback:- Thank you for submitting this writing sample. - Minor grammatical errors detracted from the quality of the provided copy.- In the future, please do not link within the copy to the page that the copy is intended to live on.

Fortunately, I got an A. (I am a perfectionist with rejection issues.) I really want to know what the “minor grammatical errors” were. (See note in parentheses above.) It might be a difference in style from AP to theirs. I also thought linking to a related page on the website to promote one of the company’s other products was a good idea, but apparently not.

I see, in their style guide, they not only like but require the Oxford comma, although they don’t call it that. As a newspaper journalist, I’m not a fan, unless it’s needed for clarity, which I understand. Actually, they like commas a lot, to the point of overuse, in my opinion.

(Did you see how many commas I put in that paragraph?)

It’s not up to me, though, in this case, to make the rules. I just get to follow them. So commas are my friend going forward. And I can’t write like I talk (or think). No, you, dear blog readers, will be my only source for fragments, run-ons and sentences that don’t really … well, you get the picture. I’ll have to get back to journalistic standards fit for publication.

I don’t want it to seem I’m not pleased with this. I am. I feel validated that I can write SEO copy for websites and get paid for it. After I have a few done, I’ll be able to add it to my resume to enhance my job search. It will help me be a better copy editor.

Maybe I’ll really like it. And maybe I’ll fall madly, deeply in love with commas. No, seriously. It’s just a little pause.

Comments

  1. Yay for you! It does my heart good to know you are now grinding your teeth over having to use the Oxford comma, after all those years of editing them out of my newspaper columns! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you. It's a challenge to switch back and forth between using it and not.

      Delete
  3. In contrast to a columnist, being a copywriter. isn't really the most charming activity. Be that as it may, for individuals with the abilities to convey keen, enticing duplicate it tends to be a generously compensated one. This is what's associated with being a freelance copywriter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am happy to find this post very useful for me, as it contains lot of information. I always prefer to read the quality content and this thing I found in you post. Thanks for sharing. Direct Response Copywriter

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post, you have pointed out some fantastic points , I likewise think this s a very wonderful website. Direct Response Copywriting

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts