Back to school


MM note: I still don’t like the start of school. Summer vacation is my favorite time!
Aug. 29, 1999
It’s back to school for Mom, sort of
Just when you thought it was over … Just when you thought it was safe … Just then, school is back in session.
I’m not in school anymore. I spent my 13 years in elementary, middle and high school. Then I spent four years in college. Then I got a job.
Although I have to get up early for work, I got used to not following the school schedule. I didn’t have to worry about missing the school bus or waiting for it on sub-zero mornings. I didn’t have to worry about after-school activities, fundraisers, tests or homework. I was adult with a job, an apartment and a nearly new car.
Then I had kids.
Now I have a husband, three kids, a job, a nearly new car and a van to haul everyone and everything.
Now I don’t worry about missed school buses or waiting for the bus, because we live too close to the school for our son to ride the bus. Instead, we get to drive him the nearly two miles across town to school. So, we deal with the twice-daily commute. My husband takes him in the morning. I do pickup in the afternoon.
My days are rigid again. It was nice to have the summer off and be able to plan afternoon activities that didn’t have to depend on me being at school at 3:30 p.m.
While our son is only in first grade, and he doesn’t have too many after-school commitments, I know the day is coming when all three of our children will use us as a shuttle service to soccer, football, baseball, dance, music, etc., practice, games and recitals nearly every night of the week.
Tests and homework for a first-grader don’t entail the hours of study that, say, a junior physics class would. But it’s my job to make sure he gets it done, on time, as he learns to be responsible for himself and to his studies.
Then there are the fundraisers and sales and a myriad of other events and activities sucking dollars from my wallet like Scooby-Doo slurping down Shaggy’s shake.
Not only do our children need to sell magazines and pizzas or whatever, we have to buy them. And while it does go for a good cause, be it computers for the school or a discount on next year’s tuition, it never seems to end.
It’s not that I don’t want to do these things. It’s a matter of priorities and getting used to a stricter schedule again. Summer vacation is officially over.
So, despite graduating a couple of times, I’m back in school, so to speak. At least I don’t have to wait for the bus.


Comments

Popular Posts