Volunteering — or my life as a bartender

I gave back tonight by selling drinks at Wisconsin Rapids Community Theatre. Yes, I am a volunteer bartender. No, seriously. 

I don’t remember when I started volunteering. Probably in high school. There were plenty of opportunities, and there was an expectation that you would help out. Friends would be there, so it wasn’t a big deal. 

I slacked off when my kids were little. Not enough hours in the day. When you don’t have enough time to sleep or even eat, you don’t have time to donate to others. 

I got more into volunteering when I started with community theater. My youngest was 10, and I finally felt like I could do a show and my family would be ok. From there, I started ushering at a show or two of each production. Then, I learned concessions, got my bartender’s license and worked at least two shows of most runs. I’d get my daughter to usher on the nights I did concessions. A two-fer for the theater. 

Eventually, I was asked to help backstage, and I learned stage managing and even helped as an assistant director. Somewhere along the line, I volunteered my son to help in the booth. He took a tech class in high school, and I figured it was a way for him to help out and get out if the house a little bit. 

I also visit volunteered for theater fundraisers and festival events. 

When my mom wrote the first whodunit for Historic Point Basse, I was cast as the school teacher. My boys got parts, too. During the following years, at least two of us have been in every mystery production at Wakely. A could of times, I and all three kids were in it. 

A number of years ago, I became active with United Way, as well. I had been a donor, so when I was asked to do more, I agreed. I became a loaned executive, going to businesses to help them with their United Way campaigns.

When my kids were at parochial school, I volunteered for many events. Fun festival, pancake supper, picnics, classroom events, even rotating recess duty. 

More recently, I volunteered as a reading mentor with third-graders at a local elementary school. It was fun to work with them. I think I got more out of it than they did. 

Everyone should volunteer for something. Everyone has a little time at some point in their life. Even an hour a week can make a difference. 

Not sure where to start? Go to the United Way Volunteer Center website to find opportunities. http://www.volunteerinnerwisc.org/

I enjoy volunteering. I know my time is appreciated by those I donate it to.

Give it a try. You might just find you really like it, too. After all, it’s fun to sell drinks as a volunteer bartender. Really. 

Comments

Popular Posts