Friends and music

For the past couple of years, the Friends of Rapids Music festival has brought a day full of varied music offerings to listeners at Robinson Park. It’s usually hot, so you get some food, find some shade and enjoy a set or two. 

I went this year, timing my visit to be sure to catch the Sara Rifleman Jazz Trio. I also heard acoustic duo Galynne & Markondrums, a group of young musicians playing heavy metal (winner of the FRM Battle of the Bands), blues guitarist Aaron Lee Kaplan and rock band Hue. 

It was hot again at the festival, but the beer was cold, and there was a breeze. We kept moving our picnic table to stay in the shade. The gyro for dinner was delicious. 

I ran into biking friends who invited me to share their table. It was nice to visit a little and listen to the bands. 

I also ran into other friends, two of whom invited me to see a band later that night. I told Mozelle to text me if she was going. I was pleased when she did. While I’ll go to a music fest by myself, I’m not likely to go to a bar alone. 

We listened to the opening act, had a chance to talk, ran into more friends and acquaintances, enjoyed some time on the deck and finally heard new band GTS play its first gig. 

It was a day full of music and friends. Both are good for the soul. 

Comments

Popular Posts