Feed the birds

I was so excited to see the robins this spring. 

It was sometime probably about the middle of March when I first saw them. I was out for a walk. It made me giddy! I wanted to tell someone. I think I maybe texted someone that I had just seen robins, the harbingers of spring.

I can hear the cardinals in the early morning. They must be in the trees outside my window, but I haven’t gotten up to look. I see them flit across the yard occasionally, red flashing in the sun.

The 2 feet of snow we got a couple of weekends ago was hard on the birds, particularly the robins. The cardinals stick around all winter, so they have their food sources. But the poor robins rely on worms and insects, and when everything is buried under snow, it’s hard to find food.
Photo courtesy of Pixabay.
I didn't think you'd want to see a dead bird.


I read an article that said people should help out the birds and give them something to eat, because the robins in particular were starving. I didn’t have bird seed, but I did have some dried cranberries, frozen blueberries and a handful of crackers.

A female cardinal had come to perch outside the living room window. She let me get quite close before I paused. I didn’t want to frighten her away. So we just looked at each other for a bit. After she left, I went and found the food, got the window open and filled the little shelf with some goodies for her or whatever other bird might find it.

While I didn’t get to actually see her -- or any bird -- eat it, the food disappeared over the next couple of days. And the snow was melting, revealing brownish-greenish grass underneath. The sun is warm enough to heat up the earth, and it will be easier for the birds to find food.

So I was greatly saddened when I went to move the snow shovel and found a dead robin behind it. I assumed it was a female, but I’m not sure why.

I expected her to weigh something. It was like picking up tissue — picking up air. Even though she was a good-size bird, she was just so light.

So I’m happy and sad that the robins are back. I’m happy that they’re here and summer is coming, but I’m sad that the snow was too much for some birds, and that my meager offering didn’t go further to feed that poor robin.

Comments

  1. The Robbins here are already having their babies. Yesterday my neighbor informed me that a nest that was built in a fake tree in her entry way to her front door had blown over and a baby bird was tossed into a chair nearby. The baby was still breathing so I put some gloves on, fixed the nest and placed him gently back in. I wasn't sure if the mother would accept him---but she did. :) Made my heart happy. Can't believe he got thrown into a soft chair and survived that. You would love all the birds here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, that’s cool you were able to help. I think we both have a soft spot for critters.

      Delete
  2. So many dead robins after the storm. :( I put out raisins for the robins here but they actually got on the small feeder and ate too! Good for you CQ! Yes, that baby bird was meant to live!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts