Giving up sugar (or why I ride)

It started with the Great Cycle Challenge a year ago.


Anita’s friend C invited her to join her team to bicycle to raise money to fight kids’ cancer. Anita suggested I sign up, too. “We could ride together,” she said. 

Well, I did. Met my goal for miles and money. 

Except I think we rode together about three times. 

But I got in better shape and developed a new habit. I actually liked doing something physical. 

I never did before. Yes, I walked the dog religiously twice a day — about two miles — until she was injured. But that was more for her than me. 

I tried aerobics. I sweated through Denise Austin and Gilad. I tried yoga videos and exercise bands. I’d do it, but I never enjoyed it. Dreaded it, is more accurate. 
I was freaked out by the bike challenge. I legitimately was worried I couldn’t bike three miles a day. 

But then I started, and it was ok. I was able to comfortably do more than three miles at a time. I liked seeing different things. I found I couldn’t obsess quite so much on the bike. You’re moving fast enough you have to keep some part of your brain engaged on staying upright and not smashing into a tree or car or something. 

A couple hundred miles later, and I was hooked. I loved to ride. Not long distances every day, but something every day. I kept it fun, though. No rain rides, unless you were caught in a downpour, which happened (on top of being hung over). Nothing below 50 degrees. (I don’t have the gear for it. And we go back to the fun aspect. Cold isn’t fun.)

And then winter came, and I had to give up the bike.

I got a membership to a local hotel with an exercise room and swimming pool. 
I tried the bike machines. It was drudgery. I hated it. 

So I sucked up my self-loathing for my swimsuit body and took to the pool. I found that release I got when biking. And I couldn’t get enough. I was thrilled when I could get to the pool. I would swim for 20 minutes, 30 at most. Laps, treading water, stretching. 

Somewhere along the line I started eating healthier. More salad, less pasta. I still enjoyed desserts. But I knew I should cut back. So I started to say “no thank you” instead of “yes please.”

By Christmas I had pretty much given up on sugary desserts. No cake, cookies, pies or puddings. 

At first, it was hard. Like exercise. 

But then it became a habit. 

And I was losing weight. My pants didn’t fit anymore, so I got rid of them and bought a smaller size. When the new ones got too big, I got rid if them and switched to skirts and dresses, which seem more forgiving if you keep losing inches around your middle. 

So it was easier to say no thank you to ice cream, cheesecake and even my favorite birthday cake — homemade Waldorf Astoria red velvet with cooked frosting. Though to be honest, I just didn’t make it so I wouldn’t be tempted. 

And after about 30 days, it became a habit. Now I easily say no thank you. I’ve given up processed sugar. People look at you like you’re deprived, but I don’t feel that way. I don’t crave it like I used to. My migraines aren’t as bad or as often. I weigh what I did when I graduated high school more than 30 years ago. I’ve lost most of my baby pouch, my double chin and a lot of cellulite. 

I’m not deprived. I feel good. The only deprivation has been because of the snow keeping me from biking. But more 50-degree days are coming, and I’ll be back on the bike. And yes, I’m doing the challenge again this year. Let’s see how far I can go.

https://greatcyclechallenge.com/Riders/MystiqueMacomber 

Comments

Popular Posts