The end of everything

It's weird coming down to the end. 

I've known since February that I wanted to go somewhere. I made preliminary plans for Portugal by early March. 

For some months, the focus was on what I needed to do in order to leave. Lately, it has shifted to actually prepping for it. Going through my stuff again to downsize. Pulling together tax stuff. Scanning documents I might need. That sort of thing. 

At work, I've been training my replacement on the home care side and passing along info they will need when I'm gone. 

Personally, I've been trying to connect with people all along. Have you seen a friend and said, "We should get together sometime," and then you never do? I started saying, "Get your calendar out right now. Let's pick a day." It works. You see people, and months or years don't have to go by. 

I've pushed harder these past few weeks to set up times to see friends and do some last visits. I've tried to see my kids more. It’s been great to make time for people. 

And even though I'm only initially moving to Tennessee (to get a job, save some money and apply for a visa), I know sooner than later I'll be an ocean away. 

So it's weird coming to the end of everything. Not just a job, house or marriage. Everything. 
I'm reminded of the Chris Isaak song by that title. It's about a relationship ending, and this is much more than that. It says, however, to "take my love with you when you go." I hope to take lots of love from my friends, family, co-workers and residents. I'll miss so many people, because it's the end of everything. 

Comments

Popular Posts