Walk to End Alzheimer’s

Our team, including our furry mascot
It was a beautiful day for a walk. 

It was a beautiful day for the Walk to End Alzheimer's. 

I've done the walk since I started at Hilltop and began helping facilitate the support group for caregivers who have a loved one with Alzheimer's or other dementia. 

I felt the walk was important because of our commitment to the support group and its members. The first year I walked with a support group member whose spouse resided at Hilltop's memory care. 

The next year, I recruited my daughter to join me. She's been my companion since then. 
This year, several women who were on the Great Bike Challenge signed up and joined us on the Alzheimer's walk. 

It takes a couple hours, start to finish. It's an easy 3 miles. I am pleased to do it. I usually feel good during and after. It might be a little thing, but if it helps even one person, it's worth it. 

This year, however, was bittersweet. It was my last Walk to End Alzheimer's here. I've done my last support group meeting. I've been to my last conference. 

And yet I still have a passion for people with the disease and their caregivers and families. I know how devastating this disease is. I've learned so much in the past four years about it. 

I'll still find a way to be supportive in my next chapter. I won't be able to just walk away from it. 

Comments

Popular Posts