Kids’ stuff?

I feel a little like a kid. Kinda impulsive. Kinda silly. Kinda giddy. Kinda fun.

Kinda happy. 

I got my ears pierced. 

People are surprised I never had it done. When I was in high school, I didn't pierce them for religious reasons. Then, later when I wore clip-ons, I realized I had a metal allergy in my ears. And then I didn't really care. I usually had long hair. You couldn't see earrings anyway. 

But now with short hair, earrings can be on display. 
I'd been thinking about piercing them for a while. Then at the makers' market in downtown Point, I found earrings I loved. Honestly, they were kind of gaudy. I'm sure most people would roll their eyes. They aren't really in keeping with my present image. But my daughter and I agreed they were delightful. 

They are little birds sitting on hooped swings. Bright colors. But realistically carved — or probably molded. I liked the yellow birds, which is so not my color. 

But they were just so much fun. 

So I sat still at the jewelers' today and had my ears pierced for the first time.  She measured and marked and stood back to look, to be sure they were in the right spot. She left me good spacing to have second ones done for some studs. That will look nice, too. 

As I'm sitting there waiting for her to gather the supplies, I thought it was an odd music choice for a nice jewelry store. Bryan Adams. Then, as she's getting ready to actually pierce, Pharrell Williams' song "Happy" came on. I actually like the song, even though I have issues with the concept. I love the video with the seniors who made their own version of it, shot for shot. 

I guess it makes me happy. 

So I smiled as I got my ears pierced. A quick sting and I had pretty little silver balls embedded in my ears. 

No regrets. I'm "happy" I did it. 

Comments

Popular Posts