Still summer for Oktoberfest

I walked a mile tonight under a crescent moon. 

It was 69 degrees at 10 pm. The breeze felt good, what with 74 percent humidity. 

Back in Wisconsin, friends and family texted about snow falling in Stevens Point, and Instagram images showed it sticking to decks and vehicles in Wisconsin Rapids. 

I'm so glad I'm in Tennessee right now. 

I spent my Sunday afternoon at the Chattanooga Market, a pavilion filled every Sunday with vendors of all sorts plying their wares. Outside, beer and food stands were packed for Oktoberfest. 
I got a Yee Haw Oktoberfest beer (how could I not pick a beer called Yee Haw?) and a big, salty, soft pretzel and hung out by the oompah band tent. The band was featuring the chicken dance. In addition to dirndls and lederhosen, a guy in a fuzzy chicken costume (with wiener dogs on his socks) and someone in what looked like a gnome costume were joining in the fun of the family-friendly dance. The tuba player was circling with the dancers. They started slow and kept increasing speed until everyone's tail feathers were shaking. 

I saw the chicken guy later with a beer stein big enough he needed two hands to hold it. Maybe that explained the costume. Or the socks. 

Still, it was 78 degrees. I bet he was hot and just needed the beer to cool off. 

Have I mentioned how pleased I am to be here and not there?

Comments

Popular Posts