Down the rabbit hole

Do you see how many tabs I have open? That's
not just for the photo illustration.

Anyone who’s spent time online knows how easy it is to go down the rabbit hole.

You start out looking for one thing, and 15 pages and several Google searches later, you’re nowhere nearer the answer to your original question, and you’ve got 15 other things you want to know more about, too.

At one point today, I think I had 30 tabs open in Google Chrome.

I like my tabs. I was never one to close a tab. I might need to go back to it, and then I’d have to find it again. Better to just let it sit open until I’m done for the day.

I used to bookmark a lot, too. But I rarely would go back to them. Now when I bookmark I make sure it’s something I really think I’ll want again, and then I put it in a folder so I can find it.

My recent rabbit holes relate to job searches.
I spend hours a day (weekdays – I’m still keeping my nights and weekends as personal time) looking for jobs.

But it’s not just perusing job sites. I’m learning more about the potential jobs and companies behind them. I’m learning all sorts of things, and it’s pretty fascinating.

I always loved that about journalism. I got to work on different stories every day, whether as a reporter or editor. There was always something new to learn or discover. Each story required some sort of knowledge. Rarely did I know everything there was to know. And even then, I still needed a hook or spin or something to get others to want to read it, so you dig deeper to something new and interesting.

No two stories were the same. No two days were the same.

While my days right now are pretty similar in routine, I’m learning new stuff every day.

Like, who knew there were so many companies doing similar sorts of things – but not quite. Sometimes, honestly, I can’t figure out what they do. Buzz words aside, I’m not sure what service is provided or who the clients are. I’m not sure they know what they do. I have no idea what I’d do for them, except it somehow would involve writing or editing.

That’s part of the reason I’m investigating each job for which I apply. I want to be sure it would be a good fit. I don’t want to waste anyone’s time, and I’ve got time to spare, right now. So I poke around websites, watch videos, read blogs and Twitter feeds, and check out Instagram accounts.

I’m surprised at how different websites can be. Some are so slick. Others really need help. One guy who is quite successful desperately needs a copy editor, not someone to write SEO-friendly blog posts. But it’s impossible to tell them that, at least not through the regular channels. (Maybe I need to make him a video to get his attention. He strongly encourages a video if you apply for a job. I haven’t applied for that one – yet.)

Even applying is way different from what I’m used to. It’s all digital now. LinkedIn, Google docs resume uploads and very little in the way of personalization, unless you want to try to personalize your resume. I’ve already got a couple versions. Few want a cover letter.

I had one today that asked me to fill in seven blanks:
1.       Name
2.       Email address
3.       What are you passionate about?
4.       Any design skills?
5.       Link to a favorite blog
6.       Link to another favorite blog
7.       LinkedIn profile

That’s it. That was the entire application.

I read a lot of blogs, but I don’t always go back to them. Fortunately, I have a couple bookmarked that I enjoy. I bet it’s the first and last time that company gets one about Alzheimer’s disease and cooking as well as a humor blog from a writer who also draws cartoons to illustrate and makes me laugh out loud.

I guess you get what you ask for when you go down the rabbit hole.


Links to my two “favorite” blog posts:
The Lost Kitchen: Reflections and Recipes from an Alzheimer's Caregiver

Hyperbole and a Half


Comments

Popular Posts