Biking in Tennessee

The view from the trail
I biked for the first time in Tennessee today, a little more than 10 miles. 

It felt good to get back to it. It had been a couple of weeks since I last rode. The weather in Wisconsin wasn't great. I tried biking as it got colder, but 50 was my low point. I didn't have the gear or the desire to brave colder weather. 

Today, it was sunny and 72. 

Granted, I won't be able to bike all winter here. It does get cold. But extending my opportunity to ride is marvelous. 

The biggest drawback is the hills. Tennessee hills. Gotta love them. 'Cause if you don't, you'll hate them. 

I've never been a fan of hills. And yet I've purposely chosen routes and rides to challenge myself with hills. Maybe because I feel a sense of accomplishment. I actually felt pretty good today. I only had one where I had to majorly downshift, and I made it up OK. Panting, but OK. I am so grateful for bikes with 21 gears. 

The other drawback is the roads themselves. I was spoiled in Plover and Stevens Point where biking is elevated. There, you have designated bike lanes and turn lanes, wide and paved shoulders, lots of trails to get you out of traffic. 
Here, it's not nearly so nice. I rode several miles to a trail, which was very nice (paved), but full of people. That is great, but hard for a biker. I don't want to infringe on their enjoyment. And it obviously was designed with walkers and joggers in mind. 

The roads getting there and back are narrow, curvy and hilly. At best, I had 18 inches of cracked blacktop between the white line and the gravel, grass or downslope. At worst, the grass was growing over the white line. I was literally in the lane of traffic, with nowhere to go. I held up more than one vehicle as they waited to pass me. 

I was very grateful for my rear view mirror. At least I could see who was behind me without turning my head. 

I'll look into other trails and rack my bike to get there. I'll probably still ride locally, but I'll try to time it for when it's less busy and seek out roads with less traffic. 

Even so, it was great to get back on the bike. It was a good first ride. 

Comments

Popular Posts